Thursday, December 31, 2009

Halal Food

I was queueing at the Baskin Robbins in Subang Parade this morning as to grab the opportunity of 31% price reduction.

Luckily, it was not crowded but most favourite flavors were temporarily out of stock as the offer had started since yesterday.

While selecting my choice, I saw the flavor 'rum raisin'. I remembered a few months ago, a friend mentioned that it was her favourite flavor.

It was supported by a few other friends. It must be very tasteful then. However, one of the friends doubted on the 'halal' status due to the word 'rum'.

She even asked the persons at the Baskin Robbins counter but none could provide her on the certainty.

I had no specific answer as I had never spotted the flavor before. I told her to check with Baskin Robbins for assurance.

Since then, there was no feedback from her.

A couple of weeks ago, I read in the paper that there was issue raised by JAKIM on halal Bak Kut Teh.

A chef in a hotel had cooked halal Bak Kut Teh to cater for Muslims community in one of the food festival.

May be this was part of 1 Malaysia campaign.

However, according to JAKIM, the food should be renamed as Bak Kut Teh associated with pig and it would confuse the Muslims.

Accordingly, it was not Islamic to name anything halal based on non-halal ingredients.

As JAKIM was to exercise its right in the name of Islam, I think JAKIM also should address on other halal foods which link to non halal names, such as the one, I mentioned above.

Even though, the thing looks simple but the implication is big. For instance, if the flavor is non halal, then it should be removed from the halal compartment like what has been regulated for the alcohol beverages.

Likewise, the utensils should be segregated as well.

2 comments:

  1. so generally,br is halal or not?i never eat any of bvrages in there for even once in my life...but now tend to enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Faeez, I agree with you...one can't resist on BR once you taste it. Infact I used to enjoy BR since my college years...as far as I know BR is halal...only the new flavour comes with certain "non halal name"...but according to my friend, the BR declares that all their product are 'halal'.

    ReplyDelete