Monday, February 1, 2010

School

I always spot the old Volkswagen paint in white roof and red body complete with dotted pink curtains, load full of kids making trips around my neighbourhood during mid day.

They make a stop at the playground or proceed to the nearby lake. Initially, last year I always spot the group marched to those places on foot accompanied by two adult guardians.

I knew the leader, David, whom I met earlier while searching for a kindergarten for my kids. He is introducing a new study concept which is not confine to classrooms activities but more towards outdoors.

I spotted in the Reader's Digest Feb 2010, on 'A Classroom in the Wilderness' which highlights on the 'forest' kindergartens which have existed for decades in Scandinavian and Germany.

The kids spend all day in a woodland be it rain or shine. They observe animals, plant gardens, collect firewood and climb trees.

According to the Cathy Bache, exposure to nature help the kids to build resilience, creativity and a sense of place.

I also notice that quite a number of parents opt for home schooling for primary and secondary levels within my neighbourhood.

Happy with the resources and options available in education but I still prefer the conservative national schools syllabus...

No comments:

Post a Comment