Friday, February 5, 2010

Joss Paper

I dropped by the mini market on the way to fetch my second daughter from her school. I was with my eldest who wanted to buy few items to prepare for her 'merentas desa' activity tomorrow.

As we stepped out from the car, we were approached by an Indonesian lady clad in bright red t-shirt and black pants. She was holding a roll of paper in one hand and looked quite loss.

She approached both of us and started to reveal her ordeal. She had been cheated and loss all her cash and jeweleries.

I felt sceptical and doubtful but at the same time felt sorry for her. I was without a handphone and felt quite risky to attend to her at the parking bays.

So I quickly made a move inside the mini market as easily to get in touch with a crowd incase she was the assailant instead of the victim.

She did not follow me. Subconsciously, I felt guilty of leaving her at loss if she was truly the victim.

After picking up the goods, we proceeded to the cashier counter and I asked the cashier if the lady approached any of them for help.

They were not aware and when I came out, she was with another Malay lady with a small kid. The lady was on her handphone and I told the Indonesian lady to get into the shop for any help as I already informed the cashier.

Meantime, she told that she was asked by people in the car she took a ride to take the roll of paper to the upper level of the shop and when she returned to the parking bay only she realised she was cheated.

She followed me into the shop and I left the rest to the cashier for further action.

I think that was the best attempt to try to help her out as I dare not risk my safety to take her to the police station.

Coincidentally, Harian Metro also reported a claim by a kindergarten teacher that she was charmed by a group of con men using 'joss paper'.

The victim alleged that she was put under spell in a 3 hour ordeal, during which she surrendered all her cash and credit cards.

It looked like the Indonesian lady was conned in a similar manner. So, please be extra careful when you need to be alone either on the streets or home, especially ladies, when you are approached by con men using 'joss paper' or 'pamphlet'.

No comments:

Post a Comment