Saturday, November 14, 2009

New Hope

I read the touching story of Wafa Sarhan, a mother of two in Gaza City, whose two sons suffered hearing loss in 2004 when the Israeli drone fired missiles at a group of militants near their home.

Since the incident, Wafa and her husband tried to get the boys treated outside the coastal strip and the nearest place for cochlear implant available was in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Unfortunately, Wafa could not afford to bear the treatment cost of USD60 000
(RM202 500).

She said helplessly, " If we gave them everything we own it would not cover a fourth of the price."

Her innocent kids have been the war victims and had to bear the consequences while she could not afford to treat them. This was against her wish and instinct of being a mother.

I understand her predicament as once I was so worried when my youngest son did not show any verbal sign though he was three then.

Quite a number of people consoled me that normally boys were delayed in speeches compared to girls.

I took their advise but deep in my heart, I was freaky afraid if he had hearing loss problem.

I tried a few tricks like calling his name and gave him verbal instructions just to ensure that he had no such problem.

I was happy as he responded to the commands. At one stage, I went on listing on words that he could babble and finally he started to talk at 3-1/2 years.

Today, he celebrates his 4th birthday and he is almost like a chatter box.

However, Wafa sadness had been lifted with the help of Dr Hajeri from United Emirates Arab (UAE), who was moved to provide free treatment to the kids after hearing the news aired through satellite.

Wafa was on cloud nine as her sons get new lease of life as she told reporter that her kids have been born again after the successful operations.

Dr Hajeri kindness and generosity had been extended to other 50 children to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment