Thursday, November 12, 2009

Neighbours

I guess in the modern era, it is hard to find good and caring neighbours regardless where you stay.

I live in a very quiet neighbourhood. Everybody seems to have busy and hectic life. Early in the morning, majority of the residents would rush to works and late evening or nights only coming back.

It is so stressful life after long hours spending time working and facing traffic jams. Weekends are for leisure and family days. So, most of the residents would occupy with one's activities.

I seldom see, meet and what more enjoying companies from neighbours. Normally, the maids are the messengers and pass useful information but sometimes might pose danger to the employers.

I only heard that my behind neighbours went on family vacations to Hong Kong recently through her maid.

Previously, I had a friendly neighbour living in front of my house and shared common issues as she also had small kids. I missed the moments since she moved out a few years ago.

I believe that this is a normal scenario within neighbourhoods nowadays. Anyway, I still consider myself lucky as my aging next door neighbour is not that bad.

Occasionally, I manage to talk to him and discuss on certain current affairs.

A few of Muslims from distant neighbours would organise open houses during Hari Raya Celebrations and bring chances for the neighbourhoods to meet up. Although it is kind of once in a blue moon occasion, it is better than none.

It is sad news as the neighbourhood spirits deteriorate as time progress. Actually, good neighbours can help prevent crimes and make the neighbourhood safe for our children to live in.

Interestingly, a study conducted in Chicago found that some adolescents are less likely to engage in sexual activities if they lived in neighbourhoods where adults were monitoring them closely.

Children tend to engage in healthy and positive activities if they grow up in a close-knit community. Friendly and concerned neighbours can help us raise good children.

A study conducted by researchers from Harvard Medical School who published their findings in the British Medical Journal claimed that living next to a happy neighbour could boost our own happiness.

Likewise, having a nasty and inconsiderate neighbour can be devastating to family life as reported in the Star today.

So, each and everyone of us should play the role as good neighbour to revive and promote the spirit of neighbourhoods within our communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment