Saturday, October 17, 2009

Deepavali Weekends

Today is Deepavali, another festival celebration in Malaysia by the Indians. The firecrackers has been heard since late last night until present as there are three Indian families within my neighbourhood.

Apart from the firecrackers, the surrounding environment is quiet as most of the populations are taking the advantage of the long break to go for holidays and the Muslims still holding the open houses as Raya is not over yet. My kids have their school breaks from Friday until Monday.

Poor thing that my husband has to attend a 3 days workshop in Ampang, Selangor since yesterday. We have been stuck in the house as my husband chose to stay in the hotel as the workshops end at 11p.m.

I have to be creative with the kids as to avoid being bored trap in the house. The day starts with the kids preparing their own breakfast. In between breakfast and lunch, I have assigned each of them with separate task. The eldest has to fold baskets of clothes, the second has to do the washings and the third to vacuum the carpets. The youngest help me around to throw rubbish and wipe the sliding door.

We have a great team work as I mop the floor and cook lunch.

I have constructed my wet kitchen to an open concept which also acts as a patio with plants. I allow them to bathe at this area as a thankyou gesture for being helpful. They love it very much as they can spend time playing with water. Last time when they were smaller, I used to place a plastic round portable swimming pool and they really had great time.

What makes the place heaven is that the row of houses behind my house are not fully occupied. Last time, the house exactly behind my house was left vacant for quite sometimes until overgrown with long grasses. So, every night while enjoying the moonlight, we also lucky as we had a chance to look at a couple of owls. The owls had converted partly of the neighbour's roof as their nest.

The owl fled off once they had a baby. Well, so much to tell about my wet kitchen and backyard compounds...

Tonight, I have promised my sons that I will spend time playing basketball in front of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment