Sunday, September 6, 2009

Going Green

I love gardening during my free time. I can spend hours to be in my garden. The feeling of peaceful and tranquility can fill up my mind and soul. Practically, this is the place where I sweat and build my muscles. In fact gardening helps to increase bone density and exposure to morning sun is a good source of Vitamin D.



I am a conventional type of person who will opt chemical as the last resort. Well, my garden not really on pure organic, but I purchase organic base fertilizer from the flea market (Pasar Tani) and make my own plant tonic. The tonic is made from the preservatives of all wet grocery wastes and left over food. I water my plants using water which I store in buckets for one night to reduce the chlorine effect.



The most important secret is to provide tender, loving and care for the plants. So, this is the story how I keep my small plot of garden 12 ft by 10 ft blooming. Another additional advantage is that I will get aromatherapy free of charge from the roses and jasmines...mmm...I really love the sweet smell....



My garden is filled up with shrubs, flowering, decorative plants and a few herbs. Vegetables are not in my list. No particular reason, it's just not my interest...



Normally, I get my supply of vegetables from flea market and occasionaly I will buy nicely pack organic greens from supermarket. The organic product is surely strain off my budget but I prefer the taste especially lettuce. It has sweet and fresh taste compared to the one from flea market which is bitter. I can consume bitter produce but it's just sound not right for lettuce.



I notice some vegetables especially the green leafy ones, like kailan, tomatoes and chilies have whitish coating on the outer layer. I believe this is the residue of chemical pesticides.So, normally I will soak all the vegetables in salt water for at least 30 minutes before cleansing.



Actually, we are left with little choice to get free toxic food. We might opt for organic products but it is too costly. Even, the environment surrounding us also been heavily polluted from day to day. May be its time for me to consider growing vegetables.....

No comments:

Post a Comment