Wednesday, August 19, 2009

RAT_Mania - Part 1

It all started back sometimes in 2007... we were on the second floor of One Utama Shopping Complex. The kids and I sat at one of the benches while waiting for my husband to purchase movie tickets (if not mistaken, it was Spiderman movie) at the Tanjung Golden Village Cinema. The kids went off running along the corridor when they spotted something interesting. They came and get me off to the shop. It was a new pet shop with attractive fishes displayed in glass aquarium. I attended my youngest son who was so eager pointing to those fishes and kept on saying "Shish....shish...."



The rest of the kids were busy looking at hamsters in cages. My eldest daughter approached me and kept on begging for a pet hamster. "Please...please...they were so cute..." she cajoled me. I pitied her because she had been asking for a pet, particularly cat, for quite sometimes. I never responded as I was not favourable to one except fish. This time she really persistent. The rest of the siblings supported her. I had hard time to reject and demanded her to ask the father's permission. Hopefully, the father would object.


From distance, we saw my husband walked approaching us. My daughter ran to get him and bargained with the father on the pet issue. All the interest to watch movie had diverted to hamster...She came to me with big smiling face. "Abah agrees...we will get it after the movie" she said happily. I didn't say much not to disappoint anybody including myself, I just wanted to enjoy the movie......


After the movie, she dragged us to the pet shop. It was too late to disagree as the father already promised earlier. I gave her condition that she had to be totally responsible for the pet, from food, cleanliness and care. Half heartily, I suggested that two hamsters would be better to keep them accompanied. The kids chose the hamsters, cage (set inclusive of feeding tray, water bottle and wheel) and of course the food...... We took the little additions to the family to lunch and later to our home.....





We placed the hamsters in the small 8 by 10 feet room next to the wet kitchen. It kept the hamsters cozy and warm. The kids named one as "cutee" and the other "tompok". The kids really paid extra attentions to the hamsters. Everyday after school, they would take their pets for playing outside the house. My eldest really kept her promised. She refilled the water bottle and fed the hamsters every morning before off to school. After a week, it was time to make over....cleaning time....it was really challenging for first timer....my husband's helped was needed.


2 months passed by and the hamsters had grown up quite fast. Cutee was bigger and active than Tompok. It would spend most of the nights exercising on the wheel. Both were inactive during day time. They loved to bury foods and themselves. By the third month, quiet Tompok has turned to be aggressive. Both would occupied their time riding the wheel and we also bought the ball for them to play and exercise around.


6 months later, ahhemm.....Cutee and Tompok had been parents. It was the first time for us to experience baby hamster. Truly dark pink without any fur. Cutee was being very protective of the baby from Tompok. The baby hamster was called "Junior" and it grew very fast. First the fur started to grow like patches of grass and soon it covered the whole body. Within one month, Junior size was almost equal to Cutee and Tompok.


We sent the three musketeers to the nearest vet when we made a trip to balik kampung on Hari Raya for five days. The kids missed the pets. Even though I did not like animals but looking into their eyes really touched and melted my heart...


2 months after Hari Raya, Cutee surprised us with the additions to the family. This time, Cutee gave birth to five pups. Tompok was acting rather weird. It would climb and bite the cage. So, we opted to put him into another cage to give him some space. But it seemed that Tompok became bewildered. We pitied him and returned him to the same cage. Tompok ended up killed and ate all the pups. Cutee was seen depressed.


Tompok was so aggressive that one day, it bite my youngest son finger until bled. But my youngest son loved to play with the hamsters so much. He referred the hamsters as "cat"...what a perfect match!!! I voiced out that it was rather dangerous to keep the pets any longer as they were posing danger. The kids opposed and I gave in.


One evening after school, the kids took the hamster to play in the garden. They enjoyed their time especially my youngest one...he kept on kissing, hugging and running around with Tompok closed to his mouth. He didn't want to put it down....


The next day, Tompok already lifeless. We dug a hole at one corner and buried it. My eldest daughter blamed her brother for what happenend. I had to explain about life and death...


A week later, my youngest coughing worsen and almost likely to develop asthma. This time, it was final...the hamsters , Cutee and Junior , had to go...I had hard time to convince my kids especially the eldest one....


One afternoon, when two of my kids were at school, the hamsters were nicely packed in the clean cage and handed over to 'Mr. Newspaperman'....the rest was history........


Not long, our house once again been invaded with the rodent colony.....don't forget to get the rest of the stories in Part 2....




1 comment: