Friday, August 14, 2009

The last pair of shoes...

It has been years that I've been avoiding the dark brown rectangular box hidden at a corner of the shoe cabinet. Slowly, I took out the box which was covered with substantial amount of dust. I opened the box, and there ... the pair of brown shoes still in safe and sound condition. Not Cinderella's glass shoes or Jimmy Choo's design . Neither was it classy or branded, just an ordinary pair of shoes. However, the shoes meant a lot to me...



I touched and cuddled it. It brought my memory to my late mother. It was the last pair of shoes I bought for her just before she went to perform hajj with my father in 1995. My mother passed away on Sunday, 6 August 1995, just two months after the hajj. She was 51 years old then. Her sudden death in the accident at km 122.5 off PLUS Highway really changed my perception of life. Actually, it was hard for me to write about this as I was so miserable at that time and depressed for almost a year. The loss was so painful and the sorrow was so much to bear.


I saw my mother as a person full of courage and very cheerful. She had a golden heart and friendly to almost everyone in our neighborhood. Even now, after 14 years she left us and this world, all our relatives and her closed friends kept on talking about her and how much they missed her (especially her giggles) whenever I met them during my balik kampung trips.





It was really touchy as the nenek ( 80 plus lady lived next door to my late mother) could recall the whole incident on the fated day when I paid her a visit during last Hari Raya. I couldn't stop my tears from welling up my eyes...that showed how close she was to our hearts.



My mother did not inherit us any wealth as she did not have any. However, she left us with everlasting memories and precious lessons that we would treasure forever. The most important lesson that she taught us was the true love. Love to ourselves, natures and finally to our Creator.



My mother loved for nature was well nurtured through her garden. She had collections of all kinds of local floras, from jasmines, roses to bougainvilleas...She also stressed on recycles. We used to collect glass bottles (before plastic industries evolution) and old newspapers which we would sell to the collectors. Although, the earning was not much but I really enjoyed every bit of the moment...

She brought up my siblings and me with all the good values, respect and kindness. Of course, the discipline back then was strict and no compromised. However, we loved her as much...I am so thankful and honour to be the person I am now because of a very special person in my life, who I called "mak"...

I took a look at the shoes again...I had a second thought...I decided to pass the shoes to a person who needs one and make good usage of it. I hope my "mak" would be happy with my decision...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uoGlUP4mM

No comments:

Post a Comment