Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Teenagers

I notice that my eldest girl who has gone into her teenager era is acting rather strangely lately. She is unfocused in class and her academic performance drops since early of this year.

She spends most of her time doing 'unproductive activities' and very obsess of certain artists and the 'idiot box'. She will spend her time watching the same shows over and over and still enjoying herself.

I also notice that most of classmates also acting rather similarly. The similarity polar of 'weird' behaviour is really worrying me as she is going to sit for her UPSR in three months time...

I was thinking, may be the hormonal imbalance plays part in her development until today when I read in the Star 'Why teenagers can't concentrate' helps answer my query.

It is reported that the changes are not because the children are lazy or careless but they are hapless victims of neurobiology.

New research found that teenagers' brains continue developing far longer into adulthood than previous thought.

MRI scans of the brains also show that their mental processes are like those of younger children.

The chaotic thought patterns are a result of teenagers' brains containing too much grey matter - the cell bodies and connections which carry messages within the brain.

As we age, the amount of grey matter in our brains decreases.

No comments:

Post a Comment